A Strange Woman is the 3rd episode in the series.
Martin is scandalized to see a woman sun-bathing topless in Paul's garden, and later staying the night. As Martin spies on Paul's house in the early hours, a police car arrives to take him away, and Paul plays up to Martin's supposition that he is a criminal, when in fact he was donating blood for an emergency. Not to be outdone Martin also volunteers to give blood, but wrongly assumes that Paul is propositioning Hilda, when it is Ann that Paul has asked out again.
- Richard Briers as Martin Bryce
- Penelope Wilton as Ann Bryce
- Peter Egan as Paul Ryman
- Stanley Lebor as Howard Hughes
- Geraldine Newman as Hilda Hughes
- Suzan Crowley as Caroline
Notes & trivia
- When Paul says "With a ladder and some glasses, you could see to Hackney Marshes, if it wasn't for the houses in between," he is quoting the old music hall song "If It Wasn't for the 'Ouses in Between" made famous by Gus Elen.
- When Paul sings "She looked so neat and nimble, O" over the garden fence, he is quoting the traditional English folk song "Dashing Away with the Smoothing Iron."