The Footpath is the 24th episode in the series.
When Howard and Hilda are challenged by a farmer, for using a footpath which Martin is certain is a public right of way, he takes a stand against him, though the gun and the dog force him to back down. Paul ascertains that it is a public footpath but stuns Martin by revealing that by rights so is his back garden. Martin goes to extremes by erecting a signpost in the garden, but he is relieved when the council makes him remove it.
- Richard Briers as Martin Bryce
- Penelope Wilton as Ann Bryce
- Peter Egan as Paul Ryman
- Stanley Lebor as Howard Hughes
- Geraldine Newman as Hilda Hughes
- Norman Bird as Man
- Leon Greene Farmer
Notes & trivia
- When Hilda likens Paul to "the beast in the World Cup who scored with his hand and thinks it's a joke", she is referring to Diego Maradona and the "Hand of God" incident in the 1986 World Cup.