The New Neighbour is the 1st episode of the series.
Officious Martin Bryce organizes the lives of his long-suffering wife Ann and the residents of the close where he lives, including staid marrieds Howard and Hilda. He is therefore not happy when charismatic hair-dresser Paul moves in next door, getting the group to sit at a different table in the pub and being invited to captain the local cricket team. Martin is equally unsuccessful at his sit-down protest to prevent a lorry driver from parking in the close.
- Richard Briers as Martin Bryce
- Penelope Wilton as Ann Bryce
- Peter Egan as Paul Ryman
- Stanley Lebor as Howard Hughes
- Geraldine Newman as Hilda Hughes
- Gordon Salkilld as Resident
- Bobby Bragg as Resident
- John Forgeham as Lorry Driver
Notes & trivia
- Bobby Bragg who has a minor role was the warm up man as well.
- The version released on DVD is cut by more than a minute. This isn't for content, it's a version edited for time reasons for a repeat run included on the DVD by mistake.